AUTUMNAL SPICE CAKE
A family favorite that is as fool proof as it is delicious. It will fill your home with the delightful and warming aroma of Fall. We often enjoy this moist cake as an after dinner treat served with a hot cup of black tea. The dusting of powdered sugar is optional, but adds a nice balance to the depth of spices inside.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, for pan
- 1 teaspoon butter, for pan
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat your oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round or 9-inch squared baking dish with parchment paper, then lightly butter and flour the bottom and sides.
In a large bowl, combine all wet ingredients and mix well. In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients, stirring with a wire whisk to sift ingredients together. Pour 1/2 the dry mixture into the wet mixture, stirring together until well incorporated. Add remaining dry mixture, stirring until you have a nice and even batter. Pour your batter into your baking dish then tap it on a flat surface to release any air bubbles. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool for 15 minutes before removing cake from the baking dish. Once completely cool, dust with powdered sugar, slice and serve.